February 24, 2021 (Richmond, B.C.) – OpenRoad Auto Group is continuing to do its part to keep dealership staff and customers safe during this unprecedented time by creating a COVID-19 safety video for vehicle drivers and passengers. The short video tailors public health recommendations specifically for privately owned vehicle owners and their passengers by outlining a few simple steps to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
“There’s a lot of information out there about how to stay safe during the pandemic but nothing specifically related to the car driving experience,” said Will Fong, Vice President, Marketing & Corporate Projects, OpenRoad Auto Group. “We hope our customers find this video helpful or at least a good reminder of some of the steps they can take to make their vehicles a healthy, COVID-free zone.”
Our COVID-19 & Cars video outlines the following steps to ensure a virus-free vehicle and mitigate the spread COVID-19.
1. SANITIZE HIGH-TOUCH AREAS INSIDE YOUR VEHICLE
· Regularly clean high touch areas in the interior of your vehicle with disinfecting spray or wipes.
· Certain areas need frequent and special attention including door handles, key fobs, steering wheel inside door buttons, seat belts, gear shift and touchscreen.
· Don’t forget the dashboard which can harbour bacteria from circulating air.
· Keep disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer inside your vehicle at all times to sanitize after each trip.
2. LIMIT PASSENGERS INSIDE YOUR VEHICLE
· Health officials recommend driving only with people in the same household or bubble.
· If you need to get a ride or drive others, try to distance in your vehicle by spreading out into the backseat or third row, when possible.
3. WEAR MASKS WITH OTHERS INSIDE YOUR VEHICLE
· When driving with people outside of the same household or bubble, it’s recommended that everyone wear masks for protection while inside the vehicle.
4. KEEP THE AIRFLOW FRESH INSIDE YOUR VEHICLE
· When riding with others, it’s highly recommended that you keep the fresh air flow moving by setting the airflow control to bring air in from outside rather than recirculating air inside your vehicle.
· Opening vehicle windows when possible will also help to ensure healthy airflow.
5. STAY SAFE AND STAY HOME WHEN POSSIBLE
· Staying home is the best way to stay safe.
· Avoid all non-essential travel by putting off road trips and limiting any visits outside of your community.
· If you’re feeling unwell it’s always best to stay at home. The OpenRoad-produced video has been distributed to all Club OpenRoad customers in British Columbia, Ontario and Washington, and has been shared on OpenRoad’s social media channels.
Since March 2020 OpenRoad has shifted its health and safety action plan into high gear at all locations across B.C., Ontario and Washington state by implementing numerous new health and safety measures to ensure a healthy environment for customers and employees as outlined below.
1. Mandatory Mask Policy – Visitors to any OpenRoad dealership are strongly encouraged to wear masks. Mask are made available for onsite. All employees are required to wear masks at all times when interacting with customers and fellow colleagues.
2. Health and Safety Officers – Officers assigned to all dealerships, responsible for reporting and guidance to ensure the best standard of cleanliness and staff health safety practices.
3. In-Store Community Safety Information – Community safety communications plan in all dealerships, including posters and digital screens outlining handwashing techniques, prevention and best practices. Also available on company websites and social media.
4. Sanitization Plan – Increased sanitization of all high-traffic area touchpoints within all dealerships multiple times a day, plus professional daytime cleaning service during peak times and nightly cleaning.
5. Loaners and Test-Drive Vehicle Preparation – All hard and soft surfaces inside service car loaners and test-drive vehicles are vacuumed and wiped down each time a guest or staff associate uses a vehicle.
6. Service Work Preparation – Guest vehicles for service in-store are outfitted with steering wheel covers and seat protectors prior to maintenance or repair work, plus all OpenRoad technicians are required to wear disposable gloves to work on vehicles.
7. Sanitizer Locations – Additional hand sanitizer dispensers and locations in all dealerships for guests and staff associates to sanitize hands throughout the day.
8. Discontinuation of Shared Foods – All complimentary and shared guest café fruits and pastry snacks are temporarily removed.
9. Test Drives and Valet Service – Increased out-of-dealership test drives and vehicle maintenance valet pickup services are offered. Check with individual dealerships.
10. Travel Restriction – No unnecessary business travel by staff associates. Staff are required to advise personal travel destinations so the company can make necessary arrangements.
11. Hand Etiquette – As outlined by health officials, OpenRoad staff associates practice frequent hand washing and refrain from hand shaking.
12. Daily Employee Screening – All employees working physically at any OpenRoad location must complete a screening questionnaire before beginning of each workshift.
OpenRoad continues to closely monitor and follow changes in regional health authority regulations while remaining vigilant in ensuring all dealerships remain healthy environments for all customers and employees.
About OpenRoad Auto Group Founded in 2000, OpenRoad Auto Group is B.C.’s largest automotive dealership group with over 1,400 associates representing 22 quality automotive brands at 35 full-service retail locations, including 30 Canadian auto retailers in B.C. and Ontario, five collision centres, and four luxury automotive brands in Bellevue, Washington. OpenRoad Auto Group offers car buyers and owners an experiential automotive retail service. With sales and service in multiple languages, OpenRoad Auto Group encourages a car buying experience based on Unlimited Possibilities Ahead. With a focus on innovation and lifelong relationships, OpenRoad offers free memberships in the Club OpenRoad loyalty points program. OpenRoad is proud to be one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, a CADA Laureate, and the recipient of multiple Canadian Best Employer Awards. openroadautogroup.com
Tanis Sullivan Communications